Hello all! Happy end of the week! (Hopefully most of you have tomorrow off, too?)
First and foremost, I want to share this video with you. My aunt sent me the link to it, and it is just phenomenal. It’s about a man with autism who has an amazing photographic memory that he uses to create totally unbelievable sketches. Definitely check it out if you have a couple of minutes!!
I’m going to do some re-capping of the past two days, then we’ll get to the summer plans!
I tried to go to spin class in the a.m., but it was a total fail. I arrived at 6:17 (class started at 6:15), it was crowded, and I was too intimidated to go in. So, I just did some biking and a lot of stretching on my own.
I felt fine the whole time I was biking, but then my knee started hurting again later in the day, which I’m super annoyed by because I didn’t think biking irritated it and it was feeling 100% normal again! Hopefully some more stretching and icing will take care of it before the TNT run on Saturday.
Midday I started to feel really crappy. I had a terrible headache and sore throat. I almost never get headaches, so it was pretty strange. Luckily, one of my co-workers offered me some Aleve. Unluckily, it did not help. I think part of it might have been my hair was up in a super tight bun? How embarrassing. I took it down and my head felt a little better, but I was just in a really weird funk for the rest of the day. I took a bunch of echinacea yesterday and today, and I actually feel amazingly better. Throat is still a little sore, but NBD.
I started the day with a fabulous smoothie. It contained frozen banana, frozen blueberries, a tiny bit of frozen spinach, ground flax, almonds, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and protein powder.
Side-note: I really am loving the Chocolate Warrior Blend protein powder (Thanks, Dad!). It’s really not chocolatey so if I want a chocolate taste I add cocoa powder to whatever I’m making.
After school, I came home for a bit and chatted with my roommate. Then I headed to Marathon Sports to see if they had any advice on whether or not my shoe might contributing to the problem I’m having with my knee. The guy I talked to said I don’t over-pronate a lot, and my shoe might actually be more support than I need, but it should be okay. He actually did have some helpful advice about transitioning to and from Vibrams, but I’ll post more about that another time.
After that useless trip, I went to the pool! I talked to a coach for a minute who was training someone about a mile-long swim she does on the Cape every year, which sounded like a lot of fun. Thinking about looking into it!
Finally, I went to Whole Foods to pick up some produce…where I spotted this!!!
I’ve always known Heather was a flower, but I’ve never seen in-person before! It’s a little hard to see the real color, but it’s the lower plant…it’s light purple
For the past 3 summers I’ve worked at a therapeutic summer camp for children with ASD. I have been conflicted about whether or not I want to return this year…but I have to make a decision by tomorrow.
Reasons not to go back to camp:
- I was/am looking for research jobs, and would love to find one that starts after the school year ends
- I was/am thinking about going home. It’s been a LONG time since I’ve spent any amount of consecutive time there, and I’d really like to be able to spend some more time with my family
- I really want to figure out what I want to do with my life. I feel like I need uninterrupted time to do this.
- My lease goes through the end of August
- It would be my first summer in Boston! I hear there’s lots to do 🙂
- I know for sure I’d have a job – schools in TX end much earlier than they do here, which means it would be pretty hard to find a summer job there.
The verdict: I feel like it makes more sense to go back than not to. I can still be thinking about/planning for my career while I’m working at camp, and I can always go back home after the summer ends. For now, that is my decision…unless something drastic happens between now and then!
Speaking of summer plans… here are some non-work related things I’d love to do this summer!
- Cape!! Sadly, I never made it down last summer. My family used to rent a house every year, but we stopped a few years ago. I’m realllly hoping it might happen this summer 🙂
- Rent a kayak or canoe on the Charles
- Aforementioned swim race?!
- Go to Newport, RI. I feel like I haven’t really explored it much this whole time I’ve been living in the Northeast. (What is wrong with me??)
- Not Boston-related, but would like to go home as much as I can
- Sign up for a few more road races
- Go to a country concert